Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Northumberland, 1859 - 1890
|1859 - 1890|
|The Maling family were synonymous with Tyneside pottery from the 1762, William Maling etablished
the North Hylton Pottery in Sunderland. with his two sons, Christopher and John.
In 1817 Johns' son Robert moved to a new works established at the Ousebourne Pottery in Newcastle. These Maling potteries worked in earthenwares largely unmarked and were noted for their Lustre wares and Gaudy Welsh patterns and also produced a modest amount of transferwares.
Christopher T.Maling was the son and successor to Robert Maling at the Ousebourne Pottery, these were relatively small and he commissioned the building of the Ford Pottery which opened in 1859.
The opening of the first Ford Pottery continued working in earthenwares brought a huge expansion of production
in Jugs, Jars and bottles for the grocery and retail trades and domestic use but they also supplied the
local market with their dinnerwares and used many of the common patterns including "Willow" and
In 1890 the firm was restyled C.T.Maling & Sons later floating as a Ltd company and continued in production
until their closure in July 1963.
One or two marks were continued into the later firm of C.T.Maling & Sons so precise dating of pieces to within the 1859 - 1890 period must not be taken for granted. "Asiatic Pheasants" wares normally bear the CTM mark but production of this pattern may well have continued into the C20th at the Maling potteries.
|The North Hylton potteries, in Sunderland were taken over by John Phillips in 1815 and continued in operation
Impressed mark c1800 to 1890
Printed mark contained in the
Asiatic Pheasants Cartouche
1859 - 1890 possibly later