Doulton & Co Ltd

Burslem, Staffordshire 1882 - 1955

Back to marks page

Thomas Pinder Swan Bank Works
Burslem,
Staffordshire
Earthenwares 1849 - 1851
Pinder, Bourne & Hope Fountain Place
Burslem,
Staffordshire
Earthenwares 1851 - 1860
Pinder & Bourne
purchased by
Doulton & Co of Lambeth in 1878
Nile Street,
Burslem,
Staffordshire
Earthenwares 1860 - 1882
Doulton & Watts High Street,
Lambeth,
London
Stonewares & Terracotta 1815 - 1858
Doulton & Co
( Ltd after 1882 )
High Street,
Lambeth,
London
Stonewares & Terracotta 1858 - 1955
Doulton & Co Ltd Nile Street,
Burslem,
Staffordshire
Earthenwares, Porcelains
and China after 1884
1882 - 1955
Doulton Fine China Ltd Nile Street,
Burslem,
Staffordshire
1955 -

The Doulton company started as a partnership with Watts in S.E.London producing mainly saltglazed stonewares and terra cottas at the beginning of the C19th. From that vigorous market founded not least on the production of Drainage pipes required for the industrial growth and population explosion of the first part of the C19th., the Doulton company bought out complete, the Burslem company of Pinder & Bourne for the sum of 12,000 in 1878. With the flotation as a Limited Company in 1882 both the Burslem Works and the Lambeth works traded under the same Banner, although each factory continued its traditional ceramic production.

The Lambeth works established a new and important reputation when they introduced their highly innovative decorative wares in stoneware after 1870.

In Burslem domestic earthenwares and porcelains were expanded to include chinas after 1884

The production of "Asiatic Pheasants" wares would appear to be between 1882 to 1902 although the pattern may have been produced later but probably not much later.

Marks employed