G.L.Ashworth & Bros (Ltd)

Hanley, Staffordshire 1862 - 1968

Back to marks page

Broad Street,
Hanley,
Staffs

1862 - 1968
George Ashworth became a partner of Francis Morley at Broad Street in 1859 but subsequently took over the works in his own right later taking his brothers into the firm. Most famous for their reproductions of Masons Ironstones which they started producing after purchasing the moulds and copperplates of that famous company when Charles James Mason closed his works at Lane Delph in 1858. They also continued Morleys work and produced some fine new patterns in ironstone.
Working in both earthenwares and Ironstones the marks suggest that they were producing "Asiatic Pheasants" wares in the period between 1862 and 1880.
Revisited the pattern in the C20th producing a version of the pattern in red in a series of Hotel wares
The company was renamed and refloated in 1968 as the Mason's Ironstone China Ltd and continue to trade.

Marks employed

Pottery Marks,GLAshworth&Bros(1)
Impressed Mark used 1862 - 1880
Pottery Marks,G.L.Ashworth&Bros
Printed Mark used 1862 - 1880
Pottery Marks, Masons Hotel Wares
Printed Mark Post 1968